Slater's Funeral Home was founded in 1911 by one of Milledgeville, Georgia's own sons, Mr. Alonzo Slater. He was a contractor, builder, and once served as a page in the Georgia State Legislative Assembly. Upon Mr. Slater's death in 1955, his widow Mrs. Essie Slater along with their son Richard, JR continued to operate the family's business - Slater's Funeral Home.
After fifty-five years of establishing Slater's Funeral Home as a landmark for funeral service in the Milledgeville community, at the death of Mrs. Essie Slater (September 27, 1966) the funeral home closed its' doors. Immediately realizing the need for the caliber of funeral service established by the Slater family, on November 15, 1966, a local high school principal, Mr. Joseph M Graham and local businesspersons, Mr. & Mrs. Floyd L. and Ruth Evans Griffin, SR reopened the now, Slater's Funeral Home, Incorporated.
The new owners worked tirelessly to expand and launch their business in the traditions of the funeral service industry. Also, their goal was to continue to provide compassionate and dignified funeral services to the all of their clients.